- In the virtual machine Summary tab, you see
snapshot consolidation requiredmessages.
- When you attempt to consolidate by right-clicking the virtual machine and clicking Snapshot > Consolidate, you see errors similar to:
Consolidate virtual machine disk files <hostname> Unable to access file <unspecified filename> since it is locked
.vmdk) on the backup appliance virtual machine to perform the backup. After the data is backed up, the appliance remove the
.vmdkand the snapshot is deleted from the virtual machine.
In some cases, the backup appliance may not release the lock on the
.vmdk after the backup process, and snapshot commit/consolidation operations fail due to the lock.
Note: The issue described in this article is applicable only when the backup appliance is running on a virtual machine/appliance.
.vmdk)from the backup appliance and commit/consolidate the snapshot.
To remove the
.vmdk from the backup appliance and commit/consolidate the snapshot:
- Right-click the backup appliance virtual machine and click Edit Settings.
- Check if the affected virtual machine’s hard disk is mounted on the backup appliance virtual machine.
- If the hard disk is mounted, select the hard disk and click Remove.
Note: Under Removal Options, ensure to select the Remove from virtual machine option.
- Click OK to exit.