Here are the steps outlined for upgrading the vSphere Data Protection (VDP) appliance.
1. Check the version of the VDP. SSH to the VDP appliance and use the following command:
rpm –qa | grep vdr
The current version of the VDP appliance is vdr-1.1.53-53
2. The vSphere (web) client displays version 18.104.22.168 (22.214.171.124). This version will not change after the upgrade.
3. Shutdown the VDP appliance.
4. The virtual disks used by the vSphere Data Protection appliance are set to be “Independent – Persistent.” However, in order to take a snapshot, the disks will have to be temporarily changed to “Dependent.” Starting with Hard disk 2 till disk 7.
5. Take a snapshot. This must be done else you wont be able to upgrade the VDP appliance
6. Start the VDP appliance. Wait till the VDP appliance is started. It can takes 10 minutes!
7. Download the VDP upgrade ISO needed and verify the checksum of the ISO!
8. Mount the upgrade ISO to the VDP appliance using VM Edit Settings.
9. Connect to the appliance using the following URL:
https://ip address of VDP appliance:8543/vdp-configure/
10. Login the appliance (username is root)
11. Go to the upgrade tab. Click check upgrades (be patient it will take some time to see the upgrade package)
12. Select the package and press the upgrade VDP button
13. The warning “No valid Integrity Check taken Today of Yesterday” appeared.
Run a manual Integrity Check by using the vSphere Web Client, select “Run Integrity Check” in the vSphere Data Protection plugin.
14. Watch in the tasks till the VDP Integrity check completes
15. Select the package and press the upgrade VDP button
16. Wait till upgrade completes
17. Shut down the VDP appliance
18 . Delete the snapshot
19. re-enable the independent disks
20 . Detach the ISO VDP upgrade
21. Start the VDP appliance
22. Check the version of the VDP appliance. Make a SSH connection and use the following command:
rpm –qa | grep vdr
The new version of the VDP appliance is: vdr-1.1.56-56. The vSphere (web) client displays still version 126.96.36.199 (188.8.131.52).